We appreciate it if you inform us if you are dissatisfied. Then we can try to resolve your dissatisfaction. You can do this by filling in the form below.

Should this be difficult for you or if you cannot come to an agreement with us, you can consult an independent complaints officer. The complaints officer will then work with you to find a solution to your complaint. Mediation by the complaints officer is confidential.

If you want to know more about this or if you want to make a complaint, you can use the complaint form on the SKGE website or call 088 0229190.

If there is no solution even with mediation by the GP and the complaints officer, you can request a ruling from the GP care dispute body. This is an independent committee that gives a binding decision. You can find more information on the SKGE website.